Pages

Follow by Email

Tuesday, 15 May 2012

The UN did not give authorization for the NATO killing of civilians in Libya

UN Security Council Resolution 1973 did not give NATO a mandate for the killing of civilians in Libya, said Tuesday at a briefing in Moscow, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich.


The Russian Foreign Ministry Commissioner for Human Rights, Konstantin Dolgov assured that Russia will seek an early return home of detained Russian citizens in Libya, reports RIA "Novosti".

" Recently, the trial began, he charged. We presume that their rights, including due process, will be observed that there will be consideration of the case and all the circumstances - he said. - Russia will work to Russian citizens returned to their homeland as soon as possible."

According to the newspaper VIEW, May 14, NATO's response to the report of the international human rights organization, Humans Rights Watch said that military aviation alliance performed the operation in Libya with great care, and data on the numerous victims among the civilian population does not correspond to reality.
"NATO campaign in Libya carried out with unprecedented thoroughness and accuracy exceed the standards required by international humanitarian law. The mission is fully consistent with the mandate of the United Nations Organization and has helped save countless lives, "- said a statement from a representative of NATO.
March 31 Russia's permanent representative to the UN Vitaly Churkin said that Russia's Western partners in the UN Security Council  are trying to "hush up" the issue of civilian casualties in Libya as a result of NATO bombing.
As part of the outbreak in March 2011 a full-scale NATO air campaign against the regime of Muammar Qaddafi was conducted over 26 thousand flights and about 10 thousand - the shock departures. According to the summaries, the planes destroyed the alliance of 5.9 thousand "military objectives". The operation was completed only after the physical destruction of Gaddafi's Libyan rebels in October last year.



Published in the March 2 report of the UN Commission presented evidence of the death of at least 50 civilians by aerial bombing of NATO. Defenders of the organization "Amnesty International" were able to collect and document data on the death of 55 civilians, including 16 women and 14 children, as a result of air strikes alliance. Similar cases were reported after the strikes on Tripoli, Sirte, Marsa el-Brega, Zlitan and Meyer.
"Incredibly, NATO has insisted that she was not aware of any" confirmed "deaths of civilians during the entire seven-month bombing campaign against Libya - wrote in an editorial Friday in the newspaper New York Times. - "Confirmed" means confirmed by NATO itself, which showed no interest in investigating credible reports of civilian casualties, including 27-page reference provided by the (NATO) in the last year New York Times, which documented nine separate raids that led to unintended victims."


No comments:

Post a Comment